The Carmelite Missionaries started this school in 1857 in the building which is at present the AG's office, Trivandrum. Later it was shifted to the campus near to St.Joseph's Cathedral, Palayam. In 1905, the school was again shifted to its present location near the General Hospital, Trivandrum. Sri.Madhava Rao, the then Dewan of the erstwhile Travancore declared St.Joseph's as a recognized school of the Travancore State at a public meeting held at the school campus on 18th January 1905. The school continued to function under the patronage of the Carmelite Missionaries till 1946. St. Joseph's came under the direct patronage of the Diocese of Trivandrumwhen His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr.Vincent Derriere OCD took over the management as the first Bishop of the newly erected Diocese.